RAM, or Random Access Memory, is the main memory of any computer. The main work of RAM is to store temporary data for the computer. Many people mistake RAM for permanent data storage. But, it is temporary data storage. All the data in RAM is temporary.
RAM is an essential component of your computer. You can ignore your broken Smartphone screen for a long time. But you simply can’t ignore your computer RAM. It also has the highest failure rate among all other computer components. If your RAM is not working properly, apps won’t run smoothly on your computer. Your operating system will work very slowly. Also, your web browser will become slower. It will take more time to open. But, most people don’t know if their computer suffers from any RAM problem. Some common symptoms of a RAM problem are:
Diminishing Performance of your System
If your computer performance is diminishing over time, then your computer probably has memory issues. Your computer will boot up at a normal speed. But, after using it for a while, it will become slow. This problem mostly happens due to slow RAM. Try using heavy apps like Photoshop or playing heavy games like PUBG. If your RAM is not working properly, then you will see a sudden decrease in the performance of your computer.
Sometimes these problems arise due to leakage of memory also. Thus, many people don’t know how to test this problem. One thing you can do is restart your computer. But, this time, don’t open any apps on your computer. If you are facing similar problems without any software running, then your RAM is facing some problems.
Your computer can crash due to many reasons. But, it is important to pinpoint the exact reason. If these crashes occur randomly, then your RAM is facing some problems. For example, if your computer crashes on opening heavy apps, then your hardware is probably failing. But if these crashes occur without warning, your RAM is not working properly.
If you are suddenly seeing your data files getting corrupted, then your system is suffering from RAM problem. This problem will only accelerate in the future. You will start seeing more and more files getting corrupted. Hence, this problem will only get worse with time. The main reason behind this problem is that your RAM is changing your hard drive structure. It is degenerating old files in your hard disk. Soon your computer won’t boot once your main drive files get corrupted.
Video Card is not loading.
If you’ve ever turned on a computer, then you must have heard a loud beep. This loud beep indicates that your computer has recognized your media and video hardware. If you don’t hear this beep during the boot process, your computer suffers from RAM problems. After the booting process, your operating system will also show you an on-screen message.
If your computer only suffers from this problem, then there is no guarantee that your RAM is malfunctioning. Sometimes these problems can occur due to corrupted video cards. On a Mac computer, a triple loud beep during the startup signifies a RAM problem.
Incorrect RAM Display
You can quickly check the amount of RAM in your system.
If you are using Windows, then you can follow the below steps to check the RAM of your system:
- Open Control Panel on your computer.
- Navigate to the System section of the Control Panel.
- You will see the amount of RAM installed in your systems.
If you are using Mac, you can follow the steps below to check your system’s RAM.
- Click on the Apple icon, and after that open, click on about this Mac.
- After that, click on the Overview tab.
- You will see an overview of your Mac stats, including the amount of RAM installed in your system.
If your system is showing less RAM, then your laptop computers might have memory issues.
Your system will freeze
If your windows computer is freezing for minutes at a time, then your system might be facing RAM problems. It may take even 3-4 minutes to open a browser like Chrome. This problem might be occurring due to malware or virus. Thus, first, you should check your computers with antivirus. If this problem still persists, then your RAM is probably facing problems.
What Causes RAM Problems?
- Sometimes power surges can damage your computer components like RAM or hard disk. Make sure to plug your computer into a surge protector. This will protect your cheap computer components from getting damaged.
- Even excessive heat can damage your computer components. Sometimes individual components can overheat, or even heat from other components can cause damage to other components.
- If you have accidentally restarted any computer part, then it may cause damage to your RAM due to excessive heat.
- Sometimes your memory module may have a fault that slipped through quality control. These errors can get worse over time. This is the most common reason behind damaged RAM.
Even if one or two memory slots on your motherboard are not working properly, then it will hinder your RAM performance. This can also damage your memory stick in the long run.
How to Diagnose RAM Errors
There are various methods using which you can diagnose RAM problems. If you think that your computer is facing some memory problem, then you can follow the below methods to make it clear:
- The easiest way to Diagnose RAM errors is using the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool. Windows provide it. First, open Control Panel on your computer. After that, search for Windows Memory Diagnostic and open it. You can run the test immediately by restarting your computer. At the bottom of the screen, you’ll see a Status field. If any problem is detected, then you will see it in the Status field.
- If you have two memory sticks, then you can take out one stick of RAM at a time. This is the ideal method to check for memory problems. After removing one stick, you can restart your computer. If your computer is working properly, then one of your RAM sticks is not working correctly. You can get it replaced.
If your computer is suffering from memory problems, then you should check your RAM sticks for dirt. Most times, your RAM stops working due to excessive dust. Hence, it is a good idea to clean your RAM every once in a while. If the problem persists, then you should take professional help. You can get your RAM replaced for around $75. Sometimes the problem is with RAM modules. In such cases, it is always good to take professional help.