Today, the gradual increase in technology has made all of us greedy. We are never satisfied with what we have, rather we look for a more upgraded version.
Every time a smartphone launches its new upgraded version, we tend to buy it. Likewise is the case with the hard drive in our computer, whenever a company launches a new hard drive, it also comes up with an upgraded version of the old hard drive.
And because we humans love grabbing the new things, we start looking to buy a new one to upgrade our hard drive on the computer.
But what exactly is the hard drive, and why do we need it?
- First of all, a hard drive is a secondary storage device.
- A hard drive has a hard disk which stores all the files and folders.
- A hard drive contains all the software programs, user’s files, operating system’s files.
- Important for storing the operating system files.
- Hard drive keeps the data secured. Even if it gets power off, one can have access to it when it turns back on.
But how to upgrade the hard drive in the computer?
Hard drives, unfortunately, do not have extra space in it and so it is impossible to upgrade the hard drive without either replacing it with a new one or installing an additional hard drive.
Let’s have a look at the steps you need to follow while installing an additional hard drive or replacing the old one:
- Step 1: The first and foremost step is to choose wisely what new hard drive you are going to buy consider the following points:
- The physical size of the drive: There are 2 sizes, one is 3.5,” and the other is 2.5″, choose whatever fits in your computer.
- The connection needed: If your PC supports 15 pin plug, the SATA connection is the best, and if it only supports the 4 pin Molex, buying adapters would be right.
- Amount of storage needed: It totally depends on your budget as more storage means more cost and vice versa.
- The speed needed: The SSD provides a very high speed than the regular drives. However, the regular drives offer plenty of space at a relatively lower rate. If you go for a regular drive, 5400 revolutions per minute are the typical speed. For higher performance, 7200 revolution per minute is a good option.
- Step 2: Decide whether to replace or to install a new one: Choose wisely if you want to just reinstall the operating system by replacing the old drive with a new drive, or you just want to add a new drive to it.
- As you have already purchased the hard drive with critical thinking, you just need to proceed further.
- Back up all the necessary files in some external hard disk.
- Remove out the old drive with the help of the screwdrivers. Also, disconnect the cables.
- Install the new hard drive by following the instructions below:
- Note down all the important information from model number to the serial number, all of them.
- Mount the drive bay carefully.
- As you already which connection your computer supports, plug in the cables accordingly.
- After the installation of the hard disk, connect the power cables of the keyboard, monitor, and mouse. Turn on the computer system and setup BIOS.
- As soon as the BIOS detects the hard drive, start setting up it with the software.
- Reinstall the operating system and copy the backed up files too on the new hard drive.
For installing an additional hard drive:
- After purchasing the new hard drive, install it using the above-mentioned steps in replacement.
- Once it is installed properly, open the “My Computer” folder and check if the additional hard disk is being read or not.
- Generally, it gets renamed as “Extra Space” in drive F.
Now you’re finally done with the installation process, enjoy its advantages.
What are the advantages of upgrading the hard drive on your computer?
The upgradation of the hard drive has got pretty good advantages, and this is why everyone looks for doing that. The following bullets explain better:
Upgrading your hard drive provides bigger storage. It gives you the opportunity to increase storage. The capacities of the mechanical drive have increased a lot, but the thing is more storage costs more. So, it depends upon how much storage you are able to increase with your budget.
Well, who doesn’t want a smooth performance on the computer? Obviously, nobody likes to wait for a program to load for ages. Whenever you upgrade the hard drive, you get faster and higher performance. Like the apps and games being loaded faster, booting process of the operating system turns faster. Copy pasting files becomes faster, and it increases the overall performance of the computer. The more is the revolution per minute (rpm), the more is the computer faster.
- Durability and reliability:
As time flies, the hard disk also face wear and tear and becomes obsolete. So, the manufacturers build better and more reliable hard disks than before to avoid the performance bumps and attract the customers towards the new hard drive.
- Advanced storage management:
As there is always a significant rise in the technologies, manufacturers keep adding better features in the hard drive in every new version of it. There may be a very small, unnoticeable change in the hard drive, but somewhere or the other that affects the general performance of the computer.
Of course, if you’re buying a new hard drive for upgradation, you will be getting some warranty period with that too, which means you can relax and enjoy it for a particular period of time. The after sales services are also renewed and they may be some better service than earlier one.
So if you are planning to buy an upgraded form of hard disk, then research well and follow the above steps to replace the old hard drive with the new one.