What do you need to keep in mind when purchasing a new device for your company’s server infrastructure? If you are not an IT expert or do not have one, it is often difficult to choose the right one from many. The same goes for the server setup and commissioning. Here are some criteria you should consider when buying a server.
Server infrastructure should be carefully selected
Buying a server made easy: How to find the right hardware
Buying new hardware can be demanding – there are countless different manufacturers and models, technology is developing rapidly. This is already noticeable when choosing a new laptop or smartphone for private use. It gets even more complicated with a new server for a company that has to work reliably and hosts important data. With the performance of such a device, the daily business can stand or fall. Here are the key criteria to keep in mind when selecting new internet servers for your business.
These are some of the key points you should evaluate before purchasing a new enterprise server:
- Planned application area of the device in the company: Should the server, for example, host your website or serve as data backup? Different tasks have different technical requirements.
- Are there “hidden” costs for maintenance and licenses? These should be included in the purchase.
- Price-performance ratio
- Energy efficiency / operating costs: A cheap server that consumes a lot of electricity costs more than a more energy-efficient, more expensive one in the long term.
- The operating system and applications you need must be compatible with the server
- Required server know-how Setting up: Find an IT service provider who can assist you with selection and setup.
- Security and Access Controls: Where important data is stored, security measures must be taken. These include, among other things, back-ups, access controls, and virus protection.
- Number of users: Is the server sized for concurrent user access?
- Amount of data: Is there enough storage space and speed for current and future claims?
- Existing network Infrastructure / Compatibility: Is the new server compatible with your existing infrastructure and easy to integrate?
- Consider alternatives: Is it financially better to use a cloud solution instead of buying your own hardware?
Server comparison is worthwhile – advice from the professional as well
This checklist should be reviewed once before making a purchase. It can be helpful to keep track of the server buying and protect against bad investments. However, it is by no means a complete guide to choosing the right server infrastructure, but just a few pointers. In particular, during the commissioning and set-up, IT expertise should be available – after all, this is about the security of company data and ensuring a functioning IT in everyday business. An IT service provider can assist you in choosing the right server infrastructure with expertise. We will gladly advise you which server solution is best suited for the requirements and possibilities in your company. Talk to our IT experts to know the possibilities and solutions for the development of IT in your company.
Contact Bleuwire™ We are happy to assist you with the procurement of suitable hardware and software.