SIEM or Security Information and event management tools have become an important part of network security architecture. However, SIEM solutions are different from other security tools. These tools won’t directly help you in stopping attacks. SIEM solutions will collect information about different security events that are happening in your network. It will generate the alerts and instruct security controls for taking proactive actions. Thus, SIEM tools are important for automating your security incident response.
The main challenge is to manage your SIEM solutions for eliminating false positives. It is important to sort through this data quickly. Many organizations are adopting SIEM tools even when they don’t have access to the appropriate resources. This will lead to suboptimal incident response as they can’t keep up with the data generated by SIEM solutions.
In this article, we are going to give you some tips that will help you in managing your SIEM solutions.
Choose the Right SIEM Solution
Every SIEM solution has its own pros and cons. It is important to do some research before choosing the SIEM solution for your business. You should consider these things before choosing any SIEM Solution:
- Use of ML: Make sure that your SIEM solution can learn from the data that it is collecting. This will help your SIEM solution in eliminating false positives. SIEM tools with ML capabilities will help you in minimizing the number of false positives. The tools will automatically learn about how to differentiate between normal traffic and suspicious traffic.
- Threat Intelligence Feeds: Your SIEM solution should integrate with the threat intelligence tools for learning about new threats. It should work with the existing threat feeds present in your organization. If your SIEM tools can work with the relevant threats, then it will be good for your security.
- Post-Incident Reports: Check the reports that your SIEM tools can generate after some security events. You should check the information that your SIEM tools are capturing during these events. This information will help you in empowering the investigation. Also, your IT security experts can prevent future incidents by following these reports. Your SIEM tool should help you in investigating the attack methodology. This will help you in avoiding future attacks.
- Integration: You should ensure that your SIEM solution can be easily integrated with other security solutions. If your SIEM tool can send alerts to your other security solutions, then it can help you in containing an attack before attackers steal your data.
- Deployment Method: The deployment method is going to affect the cost and management of your SIEM solution. You need to purchase software and hardware for SIEM solutions. If you are using cloud-based services, then you need to pay the monthly usage fees. Hardware-based solutions are going to have higher upfront costs. However, cloud-based solutions will also have subscription fees.
These are some factors that you should check before selecting any SIEM solution. It is difficult to find the perfect SIEM solution for your business. However, you also need to manage these security solutions properly.
How to manage the SIEM Data feed?
SIEM solutions are going to parse a lot of data. For example, suppose that 20 employees are going to use your company network regularly. If they are having 20 interactions every hour for an 8-hour shift, then this will lead to 3200 interactions every day. Some companies will have access to customer-facing apps. These apps are going to generate a huge amount of data.
If you have managed big data systems, then you can easily manage SIEM tools. Big data tools can scan through a huge amount of data. It is impossible to manage this data if you are using manual methods. You should ensure that you are using the right configuration for reports. This will ensure that you are providing only relevant data to your security team. The process for managing a SIEM solution will depend on your solution dashboard.
If you want to effectively manage your SIEM solutions, then you should hire at least one person for this task. Make sure that they are familiar with the tool that you are using. If they are not familiar with your SIEM tool, then you should provide them some training. This will ensure that they can manage your SIEM solutions.
Managed Security Services
It is difficult to hire employees for managing your SIEM tools. Thus, you should consider working with an MSSP. They can help you in managing both your security and SIEM solutions. Experienced MSSPs like Bleuwire can help you in protecting your business from security threats. They will help you in reviewing your activity logs. Also, they will help you in configuring alert settings. They will ensure that the SIEM software is integrated properly with other security measures.
There are various benefits of working with a good MSSP. Some of the main benefits are:
- Reduced Workload: Your MSSP partner will help you in managing your security solutions. This will ensure that your internal IT security team don’t need to worry about managing these solutions. They can spend their time learning about new tools and techniques. If they are wasting their time in detecting noises in your big data, then they won’t get time to improve your security controls. Experienced MSSPs like Bleuwire will ensure that your network is protected from attackers. Thus, your IT security team can focus on implementing better security controls.
- Access to IT security specialists: Most security solutions are going to have a very steep learning curve. Thus, your IT team can’t learn about every security control. You should work with good MSSPs as they will have access to a large team of IT security specialists. This will ensure that you don’t need to worry about hiring different security specialties. You will get access to experts who can help you in handling your security controls. Also, they will help you in training your IT security team. Thus, they will also help you in upskilling your internal IT security team.
SIEM solutions can help you in preventing most of the attacks. However, you should ensure that you are using the correct SIEM solutions. You should consider working with an MSSP. Experienced MSSPs like Bleuwire can help you in managing your security solutions. They will help you in implementing new security solutions. Also, they will help you in finding the best security controls for your business. Bleuwire can also help you in training your internal IT staff. This will ensure that your team can also learn to manage your solutions. If you need more information regarding IT security services, then you can contact Bleuwire.