Technology is innovating quickly hence cloud computing, and machine learning can play an instrumental role in transforming the workings of organizations. To stay ahead of the competition, you constantly need to utilize and adopt new technology in your procedural work. You need a faster, safer and robust transition to new technology for effectively satisfying your business needs.
As an organization, you may require migration in the following scenarios:
- You continuously need additional storage to satisfy the growing demand of your users.
- Increased load on your servers is making it difficult to scale resources so you are migrating to cloud.
- You are planning to expand your organization in multiple cities across the globe.
- You are implementing new security measures for disaster recovery and prevention against data breaches.
Migration involves the movement of sensitive data from one system to the other when you are transiting to cloud or upgrading your existing systems. This requires detailed analysis of the hardware and software assets of both sources. Also, another aspect which cannot be negated is the destination environment which will secure the transition and prevent any failures.
What makes a successful migration?
When you are planning to improve your performance, adding data security or transit to the cloud can prove to be very helpful. You can execute the following steps for successful migration and deployment:
- Planning: This is the most crucial phase of the process because it increases the efficiency of migration. All you need to do is evaluate and review your hardware and software assets, analyze the differences in source and destination environment and device a strategy for risk-free deployment.
- Migrating: This process involves stopping the application development, backing up the system, packaging the assets and documenting the source configuration. Documentation of source configuration helps in changing the assets for destination environment.
- Deploying: Deployment often clears the difference between success and failure. If the planning is done correctly, you will be able to configure and use your data and assets on the destination very easily. Testing and verifying the deployed assets is another important process of this phase.
Risks of Migration
Imagine, you have a successful business which provides paid video and graphic assets to the clients for their website and products. With the recent introduction of free for first use policy, you are getting more clients who are overloading your existing servers. You plan to migrate to the cloud for greater flexibility of resources and global accessibility of your services. You have packaged your software and data assets and deployed them on the cloud. But, due to some unforeseen circumstances, the disaster strikes. Now, all of the assets will be available for free to the users because of an error in importing database on the cloud server. This can turn out to be a bolt from the blue for business owners if this situation turns into reality.
Moving data from one system to another may seem easy. But, the differences in functionality and architecture of the new system complicates the migration process. That’s why it is advised to invest in IT consulting services and seek the advice of the experts to minimize the following risks and efforts involved in migration:
One of the biggest concerns of migration and deployment is data integrity. You need to develop a robust migration plan in order to prevent any damage to sensitive data. Failure of any step during migration can, at worst, corrupt your data and resources, rendering them unusable. Therefore, you need to back up your data and thoroughly analyze the impact of migration and deployment on destination environment before executing the process.
‘404- Server not found’ can be a nightmare for a business making thousands of dollars each day. When you are transiting or upgrading your assets, there is always a fear of server downtime. Underestimation could result in poor and timely migration. Thus, s carefully planned process will not only minimize and eliminate downtime but also, take verification of deployed assets into account.
Migration introduces the risk of data leakage. Depending on the scale of migration, many teams and entities are working in packaging and deploying the assets. Insufficient measures for encryption and authorization of sensitive data may lead to security breaches which are hard to track.
Failure in packaging or migrating any hardware and software may cost you a fortune. Lack of efficient management, backup and recovery plans can increase the risks exponentially.
Adaption of change:
Incomplete and outdated knowledge of the destination environment will make the adaption and continuation, uneasy. Without proper training, your employees might face difficulty in adjusting in the new working environment. In IT, change is consistent and you shouldn’t be hesitant to adopt those effective strategies to stay in the competitive market.
By carefully setting the goals, planning the execution and testing the deployed resources, risks can be managed easily. In fact, by outsourcing the migration to experts, you can ensure a smooth transition and easy adaption to newly deployed environment.
Organizations are utilizing the latest IT technology for providing new and improved services to their clients for business profitability. Implementing new and innovative IT solutions opens opportunities in the best possible manner. But, at the same time, it also introduces challenges in migrating from existing IT infrastructure to new ones. By proper planning and hiring experts, migration can be made easy and secured which will eventually add to your business productivity and efficiency.