The Covid-19 crisis forced many companies to evolve their ITSM capabilities. Organizations were forced to upgrade their IT support. They were forced to adopt new digital transformation strategies. Due to this, the IT services and support practices were changed.
Most organizations are trying to return to normality now. They need to optimize their costs for becoming profitable. Most organizations lost a lot of revenue during the crisis. It is the perfect time to optimize your business in the future.
This is evident from the 2008 financial crisis. The 2008 financial crisis forced companies to a decade of cost-cutting. However, the modern business world is different now. Businesses are looking for better, cheaper, and faster processes. You should focus on modern-business priorities like value creation, minimizing lost productivity, and agility. The expectations of both the employees and customers are rising due to the superior experience of support and service.
You also need to think about the digital transformation needs of your business processes and functions. Other department will be looking at better use of automation and self-service. Thus, it is very important to provide them with good IT support.
This can be a tough task for your organization. However, it is the perfect opportunity to change your IT support. In this article, we are going to share some tips that will help you in optimizing your IT service desk costs.
Optimize your IT Service Desk costs:
We are going to talk about the main facilitators that can help you in reducing your costs. You can also optimize your costs through ITSM disciplines like IT asset management, demand planning, financial management, and portfolio management. You also need to calculate the total cost of ownership of your IT and ITSM tools. Also, you need to calculate the value that it is delivering.
According to a report from the HDI State of Technology, knowledge management is the 2nd most adopted ITSM process. More than 65% of the organizations are using the knowledge management process. Incident management is currently holding the number one spot. There are various benefits of using knowledge management. The advantages of knowledge management mainly lie in the spectrum of cheaper, faster, and better. Knowledge management will help your IT service desk in delivering better solutions to your business. It will help you in lowering both business and IT costs.
Service desks need to focus on doing better things. Many organizations don’t know how to properly implement knowledge management. You can follow the below tips for adopting knowledge management:
- Understand that Knowledge management is about people: Many people think that Knowledge management is all about technology. However, it will change the way of working. Thus, it is important to ensure that you are using the best ITIL change management techniques and tools.
- Embed knowledge sharing capabilities with your business operations: You can’t treat knowledge management as an add-on. Knowledge management should be embedded with your business operations.
- Focus on knowledge use: You don’t need to invest your money into capturing knowledge only. Make sure that you are focusing on using that knowledge.
AI technology and automation
AI and automation are going to become the backbone of organizations. It will help you in optimizing your costs. You can use it for both heavy thinking and heavy lifting. However, most companies are still not using it properly. You can follow the below tips for adopting automation:
- Manage your stakeholder concerns and expectations: Make sure that your stakeholders are on the same page. They should know about what is possible with AI and automation.
- Learn from previous failures: Make sure that you are not making the same mistakes that you have made with self-service technology. The introduction of AI and automation will change your work culture. Thus, you need organizational change management techniques and tools for succeeding.
- Address the impact of AI: Automation and AI is going to act as your main service desk metric. It will help you in removing simpler requests and issues from the IT help desk queues. This will ensure that your IT desk employees will only focus on time-consuming and complicated tickets.
The volume of tickets is only going to increase with time. Thus, it is important to optimize your self-service. You can reduce your IT costs by providing self-service to your customers. It will ensure that your customers can solve their problems without contacting your IT help desk employees. You can follow the below tips for implementing self-service:
- Organizational change management: The introduction of self-service will change your employee’s initiative. It will change your working style. Thus, you should use organizational change management techniques and tools. This will ensure that your employees are ready for the changes. If you are using organizational change management tools, then more employees will adopt the new technology.
- Make sure that your employees are adopting new technology: You should ensure that your self-service capabilities are equivalent to the consumer-world counterpart. Make sure that you are meeting your employee expectations across various factors like automated solutions, ease of use, and access channel. Your employees should have quick access to self-service.
- Cost reduction shouldn’t be your main goal: Many organizations are implementing self-service for cost reduction only. However, your main goal should be a better employee experience. There is no benefit of providing inferior experience to your employees. This will result in low productivity. If your employees are using self-service in large numbers, then you will save money automatically. Thus, your main goal should be to provide a better experience to your employees.
It is important to focus on optimizing your IT costs. You can save a lot of money by optimizing your IT service desk costs. Also, you should focus on providing better service to your employees. If you don’t have an IT service desk, then you should consider working with an MSP. Experienced MSPs like Bleuwire can help you in solving your tickets. They will also help you in implementing the best ITSM strategies. Thus, you don’t need to worry about service desk queries. Bleuwire will also help you in saving your service desk costs. If you need more information regarding ITSM, then you can contact Bleuwire.